Friday, May 25, 2012

To Be Gentle

The other day I got a stressful letter from a family member. I found it difficult to read or even see it coherently. I tried many times to read it but only managed three paragraphs before having to put it away.

Have you ever found yourself surprised like this where you feel so hurt and misunderstood?

I thought and thought and thought about it. I prayed and the first answer that came to me was that I needed to be more like our Blessed Mother Mary. That any response I would give had to be with gentleness.

This thought surprised me because it was one I haven't actively practiced in a very long time. I used to be very good at being consciously aware of trying to be gentle, but something happened over the years and cynicism crept in. I was able to be thoughtful but I lacked that awareness of gentility.

A character I always wanted to identify with was Melanie from Gone With the Wind. She was so sweet, genuine and loved. I found Scarlet to be tiresome and petty. I wanted to see more of Melanie to see just how she would act and behave in this situation or that. I wanted to emulate her. I still do.

I think I'm going to make it more of a focus in my home to be Gentle. I need to put reminders for myself about the house telling me to be gentle. Perhaps in front of every statue of Mary I have I can have a bit of script that says "Be Gentle".

For more on gentleness I found this post that I think sums it up properly:
http://julieajohnson.hubpages.com/hub/The-Gift-of-Gentleness

No comments:

Post a Comment