Thursday, August 30, 2012

Little Women

I love the 1949 version of Little Women. It's a beautiful film with wonderful actors and stunning costumes. Every time I watch it I'm glued to the screen taking in all the details of the way the clothing is constructed. I love the pinafores and shawls. I love the braided trim and bobbles. I love the fit of their clothing.

I love how Jo is a tomboy not wanting to grow up and fall in love. I love how it is so completely devoid of Feminism.

I watched the newer Little Women with Christian Bale and was so disappointed in how they rewrote the story, adding in modern concepts and fashion ideas. I can barely stand to watch it anymore.

The old 1949 version of the film is charming with A-list actors. You have June Allyson, Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Leigh, and Margaret O'Brien. I love the lines in there, "that dreadful boy. He waved back" or "He's doing awful things to her, and Meg likes it!"

If you've never had the chance to watch this film, I highly recommend it as light and simple entertainment, lacking the heavy handed messaging in modern film.

No comments:

Post a Comment