Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Baptism Outfit

Today was the baptism of our baby. We wanted him baptized sooner but our parish only does baptisms every other month, so we had to wait.

I was going to use the outfit we had our toddler baptized in but our baby is so big he didn't fit. I briefly thought about buying an outfit but ever $35 seemed like too much. I eventually opted to make my own from a McCall's pattern I bought before I ever got married and some saved muslin fabric.

After much huffing and puffing over pattern directions and sewing I found I had to re-buy the pattern as I had accidentally thrown away two pattern pieces I needed. Back to the store I went and I paid $10 for the pattern. I couldn't even use a coupon as it was excluded in the limitation section. Add to that that it's been at least 12 years since I paid more than a few dollars for a pattern, it made me feel cheated. (By the way, if you go to Joanns around halloween time you can find all their patterns but Vogue for a $1 each, Vogue is about $4 each)

After several days I finally finished the outfit and it turned our adorable. I learned how to apply snaps for the first time (the tool isn't very good though) and I was successful with making pin tucks.


Praise be to God for our ability to have our son baptized. I always worry about SIDS the most before we can have the child baptized. Now I can breathe a little sigh of relief.

I love these pictures I took:

2 comments:

  1. What a cutie! And you did an amazing job on the outfit! It looks so professional!

    I hate paying full price for patterns. It's a serious pet peeve of mine... So far I've only bought the vogue patterns when they're on super sale too, because looking at the price tags just make me wince!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you! There were some pattern instruction flaws that I would definitely change in the future since it left me with exposed raw seams. The whole reason I couldn't use a coupon at Joanns was because they were already discounted from $14. I was so mad at myself.

    ReplyDelete