Monday, September 10, 2012

Two vs One

I have to say that parenting two children is much more challenging than just one. I thought it was so hard and so easy to parent our oldest. I had time on my hands, I could watch TV, I utilized his nap times to be on the internet and to also do domestic chores. I was sleep deprived, exhausted, confused, and frustrated.

While I was pregnant with my second child I briefly wondered what I would do with two. Then our baby was born and I found out first hand.

I feel incredibly lucky to have the children God gave me. I don't handle stress all that well and my boys are very good sleepers. God gave me what I could handle and knowing that makes me feel like I'm getting off lightly compared to other families with colicky babies who are teething at the same time. I don't walk the floor at night trying to get my child to sleep but my cousin does and my mother-in-law did with my husband when he was a baby.

I feel terrible I'm not experiencing the same troubles other families have. However, my days are probably similar to other families. I hear myself saying, "No, don't put your finger in his nose.", or "don't bite your brother", or "that is your food, not the baby's", or "be gentle, he can't hold your car yet". It seems like a never ending stream of talk and actions trying to get my toddler to not accidentally maim or kill his baby brother.

Life is definitely harder with two.

No comments:

Post a Comment