Thursday, October 11, 2012

Holding our Babies

I read a wonderful article on touching and holding our babies. http://theotherbabybook.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/a-peek-into-the-past-touching-our-babies/ They went from the historical perspective of when we had our children with us all the time in slings, carriers and cradles. Then the sad talk of not spoiling your child with kisses and rocking. The amount of institutionalized children who died before their first birthday is horrifying. All from a lack of touch resulting in a failure to thrive. I didn't know it happened in the US, I thought it had only happened in Russia.


Fortunately, we have brought back some of the sensibilities of the past and we are now advised by authorities that it is okay to comfort our babies, that we can't spoil a baby under 6 months, and breastfeeding is a perfect food.

A commenter noted that women going off to work and leaving their babies in the care of others is unnatural. When I think about how children thrive off the touch of their mothers, fathers, and family, I see that it does seem very unnatural for a mother to leave her child.

I am very thankful to have the opportunity to stay home but I feel that it is the right of a child to have his mother with him more than it is the right of the mother to stay with her child. My babies need me and I need them.

I wish our society were set up to afford all parents with the ability to have one of them stay home. We might learn a lot from our children and change as a society.

No comments:

Post a Comment