Sunday, August 4, 2013

Introverted Mothering

I just read this great blog post on being an introverted homeschooling mom. http://simplehomeschool.net/introverted-mom-day/

I think taking our personality styles into account with our family is important. When I was a child it was all planned out and I had ample time to recharge myself away from the family. My parents even allowed me to have a lock on my door to keep my brothers out, of which they loudly complained of the unfairness of it all and the door jam still bares the scars of repeated attempts to pry me out of my hidie-hole when said parents weren't at home but we three were. 

I grew up and had the fortune of being roommate-less in the military everywhere I went. This was wonderful and I did much better than otherwise. 

My first real life job, aside from the military, was just up my alley, filing and doing data entry. I tried other jobs but always found myself back at tasks that required work, not talk. 

I briefly contemplated becoming a nun but I could barely handle a talk with a vocation director from one of the orders I liked and determined my introverted nature was not in line with their charism. 

I met and married my husband shortly thereafter who is also an introvert. I recall being frustrated with him on occasion after our children were born for not giving me a break from our children when I badly needed it. It's not my husband's fault though. I was overwhelmed but I wasn't asking for help and I was trying to telepathically impart my needs to him. I don't think he's telepathic though and I'm sure he missed my messages I left him. 

Now that I'm pregnant, I know I need breaks and I've been taking them. I've been feeling guilty that I'm so tired and abandoning everything to my husband without so much as a word to him other than thank-you. 

Thinking about this more I realize that I need to build in real break times for myself. I need to build my world so that I don't wear myself out emotionally. I need to be able to give myself to my family, not run away from them. I need to care for myself first to be able to care for them. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to what you are saying. It's one reason that I haven't quit blogging by now... I seem to really need time with my brain, in silence and isolation and reflection. I don't get that much anywhere else in my life! I am a pretty social person but I need recharging in a particular way. I'm going to read the article you linked now... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you can relate. We introverts need to stick together and embrace who we are rather than let others berate us for being that way. I hope the linked blog post is helpful in getting what you need.

    ReplyDelete