Friday, November 22, 2013

The Good and the Bad...

Today has been a very long day.

First, the great news. Today is the feast day of St. Cecilia, my patron saint. It is also the day my husband and I met in person five years ago. We didn't do anything to commemorate the day but we did spend much of it together.

Second, the not so great news. I had to take my husband to have a phlebotomy. That was not pleasant. Fortunately, the nurses were kind and we were out of there in less than an hour. You must be wondering why he would need a phlebotomy.

About a month ago, my husband went to his annual physical. He had his blood drawn but his numbers were off. He has way too much iron and his hematocrits are too high. He was referred to a hematologist who drew his blood again, had him do an ultrasound, and re-evaluated his physical state. The diagnosis was as my husband suspected, Secondary Polycythemia Vera. It's a blood disorder that runs in his family, on both sides, where the red blood cells are too much and eventually can lead to cancer. Currently, there is no "cure" for polycythemia, only management. What I wish I had was a prognosis that would let me know what my husband's longevity is with this. I'd like him around for a good long while.

Now, it's time to go to bed. I've been up and working for way too long and the baby is letting my know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment