Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We're figuring it out

For the past 2 weeks we've been letting the baby eat solid food. Typically, I feed my boys Beechnut baby food until they can manage more texture. It's a nice brand that is just the vegetable and water or the fruit, water, and some citric acid. It tastes like the food we eat at home and with the vegetables I usually add some butter to help with the flavor and the vitamin absorbtion. I also use a rubbery spoon like nuby. I tried the kind that had a metal handle but it hurt my fingers after a while. Why, you may ask? Because I usually have a death grip on the spoon to keep it from being taken from me by an excited baby and also because right now it takes about 1/2 hour to eat. Sore fingers are no fun. 

Today, I finally found a sweet spot for me and the baby. He is wanting to eat real food but still has his extrusion reflex. That is not fun since his tongue is in the way for most of the feeding. So, today I tried just holding the spoon like it was full of soup (sideways), up against his mouth and resting it there. He slurped the food happily, spoonful after spoonful, and we finished in 10 minutes. Woohoo! 


1 comment: